"I plan to give you love, nurturing, and just enough dysfunction to make you funny."



"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage."-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Wednesday, June 15, 2011

1 Year- We made it!!


One year ago today, I was in the hospital impatiently patiently awaiting the arrival of my son. It is true what they say about looking back at that day not remembering anything, except for seeing your baby for the first time. I don't remember how the nurse kept wanting to check me every time I fell asleep, or how it burned when I got my epidural, or how after 13 hours of labor, I ended up needing a c-section, or how nervous I was being wheeled into the operating room, and how after I had the baby, they wheeled me into the tiniest hospital room ever, and how I had to use a spray bottle when using the restroom, or how I cried every time I laughed because of the pain of my stomach moving nope, I don't remember any of that, just holding Mason for the first time! In all honesty, for those of you who don't have kids, you DO remember that day, but you focus more on seeing your baby then on the other stuff.

This year has flown by, it is amazing how every day brings something new and exciting. Mason is walking all over the place- more than crawling, he claps his hands, loves to play patty cake, he waves hi & bye, and he "talks" all the time. He has the top 2 & bottom 2 teeth, and is getting 2 more up top. He eats anything and everything, and doesn't drop a bite- the boy can eat. I look back at pictures throughout this last year, and I can't believe how much he has changed, and how much I have changed as a parent. I remember thinking that I wasn't going to survive the first 6 weeks, and now look at us 1 year later.

From reading my previous posts you will know that I have come to learn a few things after having a child, so without further adieu:
Top 10 things I have learned over the past year:
10. When people tell you to sleep as much as you can before the baby comes- do it. I am not talking just an extra hour or so a night, I say hybernate the whole 9 months- even doing that, you will still be tired.
9. Don't be upset if you can't end up breastfeeding or if you end up with a c-section- some things are out of your control.
8. "Running in" anywhere is still out the question. In the beginning you just had too much stuff to haul in with you(ie: diapers, wipes, clothes, socks, bottles, bibs, the swing, etc...) but now you have the joy of a screaming child when you try to put him back in the car seat 15 minutes after he got out.
7. Enjoy the puree food stage, because once they get to table food it is much harder coming up with variety.
6. Have your husband look into getting a second job, because buying baby related items becomes an obsession- I am a sucker for sippy cups & bottles
5. In the beginning you look for quiet restaraunts, because you just spent hours trying to get the baby to go to sleep so you can have 1 peaceful HOT meal. Now that the baby is older, you look for kid friendly, loud restaraunts, so people don't notice your child is screaming & throwing food all over the floor.
4. You have stopped buying Carter's clothes, because even though they have some really cute stuff, you need the baby to be able to wear it longer than 2 washes.
3. In a perfect world, your child will only eat organic, healthy food- guess what? It isn't a perfect world- give that baby a cookie, would ya?!
2. The "baby" excuse can get you out of everything! Ha!

And the top thing I have learned this past year is:
1. Time goes by way too quick, so take the time to really get on the floor and play with your baby. If that means putting other stuff off, then do it- they will only be young for so long.

Mason's birthday party is next week, so I will post again then...(click below to see pics)

Happy 1st Birthday to the sweetest little boy, Mason Michael

2 comments:

Kailyn's Mommy said...

So many truth's in this post! A very happy b-day wish to a very special little boy. Happy 1st Birthday Mason!! We can't wait to celebrate at your party with you.
x♥x♥
Nicole and Kailyn

Libby said...

Happy 1st Birthday to our "love bug" Mason!!!!
We love you so much and have enjoyed watching you (and Mommy) grow this past year. Hope all your days are happy and carefree as you become a toddler and throughout the coming years. And we hope to watch you through them all!
Mommaw and Poppaw